Advertisement

Help me troubleshoot a laptop problem

Started by August 31, 2007 09:36 PM
3 comments, last by lethalhamster 17 years ago
I have a Dell Inspiron 6000. I'm really perplexed on this one. The computer will run fine for a variable amount of time, then it will simply stop. Now, what is weird is that the screen still shows whatever was on it when it "stops". The mouse is still on the screen, but it is unresponsive, as well as the keyboard. The fan keeps going, the lights are still on, the computer just doesn't process anything new or accept any new input. (so no programs keep running, it becomes a still screen). I need to just hit the power button to get it to turn off. Any ideas of what this could be? I ran a full set of diagnostics on it, and nothing seemed to turn up. It's not spyware or a virus, it even happened when I was in the diagnostic partition. Thanks!
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
Did you update any drivers?

If so revert to an older version of that driver.
Advertisement
That's definitely not it. Like I said, even in the diagnostic partition this happened.

Oh, update. Now it won't start up at all.
[Piebert Entertainment] [Ask The All-Knowing Oracle A Question]------------------------------------------------------------GDSFUBY GameDev Society For UnBanning YodaTheCodaIf you want to see yoda unbanned then put this in your sig ------------------------------------------------------------DAIAGA Dave Astle is a God Association. To join, put this in your sig!Founder and High Priest of DAIAGA[edited by - YodaTheCoda on December 10, 2003 1:57:54 PM]
It sounds like the system could be overheating. I've had a few of my client's systems (more laptops than desktops; some laptops have pretty poor cooling) overheat with similar symptoms - they either shut off, freeze, or bluescreen. It could also be bad RAM; another client of mine added a second stick of RAM to his laptop with different timings (sadly, that's what you get for going to Best Buy!) and it would randomly freeze. Finally, it could be power management related - try changing the power management settings in the BIOS.

For heat, you can probably find a tool that will monitor heat levels on your system; see if they are going up! RAM is harder. Memchk86 does a pretty good job of stressing RAM to find errors, but it isn't perfect.

Also, try removing any external devices (USB devices, etc.). It's amazing how well USB works, but just occasionally I've seen systems lock up with some USB 2 devices and either a non-powered or an insufficiently powered hub (the hubs in the system may fall into the latter category).
It might be over heating. I had that problem once. Everything was still running, and whatever I had on the screen was still displayed, but the CPU over heated. Instead of rebooting itself which is should have done it just froze. I changed out the HSF on the CPU and it runs fine now. Unfortunately, heating issues in laptops aren't all that easy to fix. But it might not be a heating issue, thats just my personal experience.

Also, check the system log. Right click on "My Computer" select "Manage" on the left panel select "Event Viewer" then select the "System Log" from that drop down list. Next time your computer freezes record the time it happens, then look in the system log and look for any alerts you get from that time you recorded.

Good luck man, hopefully its still under warranty?
............Could Jesus microwave a burrito so hot that he himself could not eat it?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement