Advertisement

New computer, freezes up while starting

Started by April 09, 2008 09:42 AM
24 comments, last by Grandtomatoe 16 years ago
Quote: Original post by capn_midnight
Well, I haven't tried it yet because I don't have any writable CDs right now. Guess I'm going to have to stop at the store and get some. At any rate, I'm starting to think that my motherboard is just bad. I was able to get two sticks "working", but late last night I started getting BSODs again, both from the HDD and from the install CD, so I doubt it is a corrupt file. After removing the second stick it started working again. I think the mobo is frying my memory sticks.

I think you can use a bootable USB key.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend a PSU lower than 700w, also check if your north bridge overheats.
Quote: Original post by smr
As far as I know, memory timings must be the same for each slot. When using auto, often the timings are read from the SPD of the stick in the first slot. If the ram module in the second slot can't keep up then problems can occur.

that shouldn't be a problem, because all 4 sticks are the same exact model.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Advertisement
So memtest ran fine on the first stick. The computer wouldn't start with all 4 sticks. Memtest froze at 14% completion with three sticks. I'm going to take out the original stick that ran fine and leave in the other two that were in when the system failed. I've swapped each stick out of the first slot so many times that I really think the memory is fine and that it's the motherboard that is the problem.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

Quote: Original post by capn_midnight
Quote: Original post by cylab
maybe it's just that your memory timing is not correct. Check the numbers on the sticks and in the bios. And after that, do a memtest ;)

I've got the Memtest going now (great way to spend a sick day, testing your computer instead of using it, yeah). What do you mean by the memory timing? My BIOS settings for memory timing are all set to "Auto", and there doesn't seem to be any info on the stick itself (at least, not that I'm recognizing).

That might be the root of your problems--no name generic cheap memory?
Any quality ram should have all their timing on their website, like the Kingston memory I use in my system.
I noticed you have an Asus P5 board.
I have an older Asus P5 model and although it's supposed to autodetect the memory timings on my memory sticks via SPD it doesn't half the time!
Before I manually set the timings I would get BSOD all the time especially Vista since it seems to be more sensitive to any overclocking from what I've seen.

[size="2"]Don't talk about writing games, don't write design docs, don't spend your time on web boards. Sit in your house write 20 games when you complete them you will either want to do it the rest of your life or not * Andre Lamothe
Quote: Original post by daviangel
That might be the root of your problems--no name generic cheap memory?
Any quality ram should have all their timing on their website, like the Kingston memory I use in my system.
I noticed you have an Asus P5 board.
I have an older Asus P5 model and although it's supposed to autodetect the memory timings on my memory sticks via SPD it doesn't half the time!
Before I manually set the timings I would get BSOD all the time especially Vista since it seems to be more sensitive to any overclocking from what I've seen.

it's A-Data. I think this is it.

Did you ever get to the bottom of this???

I am having the same exact problem!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement