Advertisement

2nd Monitor for graphics/gamedev?

Started by August 29, 2008 11:46 PM
9 comments, last by Oluseyi 16 years ago
Quote: Original post by Trapper Zoid
I don't know a lot about the signals between the monitor and graphics card, but I thought it was digital. Wouldn't you avoid signal decay issues with a single adapter with a digital signal?

The data is digital. The carrier is still a series of analog values. Being digital data, the possibility for interference/distortion is low, but the possibility of signal decay remains (but is minuscule over the distances involved, anyway).

Quote: I'm aiming to be more of a cartoonist than a fine artist, and that's the skill I plan on developing as a prime strength. I also prefer to work in vector than raster. I most likely don't need anything too fancy for that style, being based on strong black line work and solid patches of colours. However I'll need to work on general art skills to improve my cartooning, so it's a balance.

In that case, I recommend either a Tablet PC or a Cintiq 12WX.

Quote: Is it a big benefit to have the monitor at the same height? Currently my research computer has two of the same make of LCD monitors, but I slightly angle them towards me with a big seam in the middle. I was planning on doing the same so the two monitors act like two different surfaces rather than an extension of the same space. I thought this might work better as I doubt I'll have the same colour consistency in the two screens.

It's really all a question of your workflow. My boss has three monitors: two 20-inch widescreens are placed on either wing, at the same height, then a 24-inch widescreen is in the center in portrait orientation, making it easier to read documents. He also intermittently connects a projector as a fourth display, which he then logically places above the left 20-incher.

Arrange your displays in the fashion that works for you.

Quote: I admit it looks really good, but the Cintiq might be a bit pricey for me and my current skill level. The Melbourne store I get equipment from has the Cintiq 21UX at A$2499, and that's on special (RRP $3289) - that's about the price of all the rest of my equipment combined, save my laptop. I've got a fairly new Intuos 3 I still need to break in.

I guess it's better to look for an affordable LCD screen, probably with a better panel type than TN, and maybe get the Cintiq when my art's a success [smile].

Prudent. My Intuos3 is starting to look a little beat up - it's chipped on one side, and my pen has lost its rocker switch after someone threw it across the room... [smile]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement