Advertisement

Linux box won't power off

Started by December 24, 2008 09:29 PM
2 comments, last by Oxyd 15 years, 8 months ago
My Linux computer (a Compaq Presario 6000) won't power down when I run "poweroff". acpi_power_off is being called, but the computer just hangs and I have to get up and push the button on the tower to turn it off. How can I fix this? I noticed a BIOS setting called "ACPI/USB Buffers @ Top of Memory" that I thought might have something to do with this. In case that helps.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
Perhaps APM would play with your hardware better than ACPI. Some Google-ing results in (for Ubuntu, at least):

Add "apm power_off=1" to /etc/modules.

Add "acpi=off apm=power_off" to your kernel boot options. For Grub, these are found in /boot/grub/menu.lst on one or more lines beginning with "kernel". Add that text to the end of one or all of those lines.

Let us know if you have any luck.
Advertisement
I don't actually have a /etc/modules. And after crawling through my kernel config file, it doesn't seem that APM support is enabled. Is there a way to build it as a module without having to recompile my entire kernel? I'd really rather not take that kind of time for something that has no guarantee of working if I can avoid it...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~I program in C++, on MSVC++ '05 Express, and on Windows. Most of my programs are also for windows.
Quote: Original post by EmrldDrgn
I don't actually have a /etc/modules. And after crawling through my kernel config file, it doesn't seem that APM support is enabled. Is there a way to build it as a module without having to recompile my entire kernel? I'd really rather not take that kind of time for something that has no guarantee of working if I can avoid it...

What distro is it?

Well, you can go to /usr/src/linux, run make menuconfig there, select APM support as a module (if it can be selected as a module), do make modules && make modules_install and then modprobe it. That is assuming you've got your current kernel sources in /usr/src/linux and it is the kernel that you are currently running -- that is, if you're running some sort of precompiled kernel, it isn't likely to work.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement