Advertisement

Optimizing Camera Movement for a Fast-Paced 3D Shooter - Emmanuel Katto

Started by July 16, 2024 04:21 AM
1 comment, last by LorenzoGatti 2 months ago

Hi All, I am Emmanuel Katto. I'm developing a fast-paced 3D shooter using Unity, and I'm struggling to achieve smooth camera movement. My game has a lot of movement and camera rotation, and I'm experiencing noticeable stuttering and jerky motion. I've tried using the Follow component with a SmoothDamp function, but it's not quite giving me the desired results.

Note - The game runs at 60 FPS on a mid-range GPU.

What are some strategies or techniques I can use to optimize my camera movement and reduce the stuttering? Are there any specific Unity features or plugins that can help with this?

Please let me know.

Thanks!

Emmanuel

Can you explain the camera behaviour you would like (references to existing games would be great) and describe how and when your camera is inadequate? Different objectives require different techniques: a strict first person perspective becomes less jerky by restraining character movement, a large FOV third person perspective becomes less jerky by, for example, switching between a set of fixed camera positions according to visibility of important stuff instead of tracking moving objects.

Do you have performance-related “stuttering” or it's only jerky and oscillatory motion?

Omae Wa Mou Shindeiru

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement