Advertisement

Making my own micro facet BRDF

Started by September 04, 2024 12:06 PM
26 comments, last by MagnusWootton 3 hours, 53 minutes ago

So im going to do the maths to make the pretty surfaces!

So here is a video of a multisampled microfacet fractal render, with shadowing and multisampled shadowing.

Im going to convert it to processing a super sum of light-rays, hitting repeitive geometry, in least operations, computing all the light rays simultaneously.

That is what cook torrance is, its a bit full on but im going to give it a go!

Im hoping to get a shader that can simulate a wet cardboard type effect… it would be good for a game like little big planet!

Moved to Your Announcements. Good luck with all your endeavors.

-- Tom Sloper -- sloperama.com

Advertisement

Thanks Tom Sloper, im not sure about the rules here.

Anyway, back to my work…

if u multiply by the view dot normal, as well as the light dot normal, your accounting for the microocclusions of the microdetail occluding itself, and u can tell its one smidgen more real if you do it.

and the light dot normal, which is what u usually do, would account for the microdetail shadowing itself.

Theres more maths to go, I'm only at the beginning.

So I could have gone a few directions from here, I was going to record my own 4d numerical brdfm but I decided to multisample shadows ontop of the cook torrance rough specular equation, and using the two together gets a nice effect.

The cool thing, is if ur rendering a fractal, you can actually get the microshadows off the fractal itself! its very expensive but its interesting if u try it, and it looks more real if u do.

So off I go exploring more fractal shapes now.

heres a video of another microshadowed fractal floor! and they are really easy to trace too!!!

GTX980

RTX3080

Advertisement

so I got what I was after!!!

So I wont spoil it completely, but it definitely involves transmission and roughness inside the fresnel component!!

So I can go make a numerical brdf of this, and maybe Ill just leave it there, reducing it further Im not that interested in and Id rather just get this cool surface ontop of some robot models!!

So of I go! keep going!!

@MagnusWootton Hello,

After considering various approaches, I initially planned to record my own 4D numerical BRDF data. However, I decided to focus on integrating multi-sampling techniques for shadows with the Cook-Torrance rough specular model. Combining these methods yields some impressive results.

One particularly intriguing application is rendering fractals. By capturing microshadows directly from the fractal geometry, you can achieve a highly realistic effect, albeit with significant computational cost. This method provides an added layer of depth and realism to the rendered images.

I’m now diving deeper into exploring different fractal shapes to see how these VanillaGift com techniques can be applied and refined. It’s an exciting area of experimentation with a lot of potential for enhancing visual fidelity.

THIS IS REALTIME IF U HAVE A $3000 VIDEO CARD!!! 🙂

Hi Jully! Fixed my poor english, I can barely even read my own writing these days cause I'm pretty sick and tired. got to get off the booze…

I just worked something out, the whole thing is completely wrong, cause the snell refractions are completely wrong! I need to get the normals of the ray journey in, but its going to be a bitch! cause I cant actually read the normal only containment… :P

ok so i fixed the snell reflections, and its looking good for 1 stage of diffusion. but this is on my little bro's computer, my computer is a hunk of junk now and it cant even run it! So I'm thinking about installing things on his computer right now.

Advertisement